Hello everyone! Today, I figured I’d share the musicals that are on my “must see” list.
This list hasn’t gotten shorter since last year’s post due to me watching the show, as theatres have remained closed due to the pandemic. Instead, I have gone and removed shows that I’m maybe just not as interested in seeing anymore as I once was. And, of course, added a few new shows.
Oh! If you’re new here (newer than May 2020) you might be wondering, what’s BirthMay? Well, every year I blog every day in May because it is my birth month. I just figured it was something fun to do, and it has proven to be really enjoyable for me. This will be the fifth BirthMay on my blog! No matter how many BirthMays you’ve been through with me, thank you for being here this BirthMay and thank you for your support!
Musicals I want to see 2021 edition
Now, these are all musicals that I have either heard good things about, are new and haven’t been to my area yet, or even ones that I’ve seen before but want to watch again. If I have already seen the musical, I’ll link to the review I’ve posted on it if there is one. If it has a * that means that I have seen it but want to see it again and the + indicates that it’s a new addition to the list since last BirthMay. The ** means I’ve seen a virtual version of the show (a legit version that was shared because the pandemic closed theatres so people could still enjoy them, not a bootleg) but I loved it so much I want to see it in person.
- In the Heights (this one was recently adapted to film and I believe it is out in theatres now!)
- Be More Chill *
- The Devil Wears Prada (this is brand new – I’d meant to see the pre-Broadway version in Chicago but it was postponed due to the pandemic)
- Six the Musical
- Jesus Christ Super Star **
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (which is not a musical but I would put it on musical level in terms of how badly I want to see it)
- Evita *
- Singin’ In the Rain *
- Beauty and the Beast *
- The Phantom of the Opera *
- Love Never Dies *
- Hamilton *
- Beetlejuice +
- Diana + (this is brand new – I’d meant to see the pre-Broadway version in Chicago but it was postponed due to the pandemic)
- Romeo and Juliet ** (ballet, but I thought I’d put this on here anyway)
- Don Quixote ** (also a ballet, but I’ve added it here too!)
So those are the musicals (and some ballets!) that I’d love to see in person once theatres open up. For the most part, these are all shows that were already planned to be in Chicago but delayed due to the pandemic, so it makes me sad to think I might miss them if I move away, especially those pre-Broadway engagements! But maybe in the future I can catch them in my future home!
Thanks for reading!
Follow me on social media!