Hello everyone! It’s my birthday so for today’s BirthMay post I’ll share 28 things I’ve learned over 28 years.
This is my third annual BirthMay! What is BirthMay, you ask? Well I blog every day in May because it’s my birth month! I started BirthMay in 2017 and did it again in 2018 so I knew I had to do it again this year.
Also it is Mother’s Day in the US so Happy Mother’s Day to all you moms out there! Fun fact: I was born on Mother’s Day so I tell my mom I was the best present she could ever dream of. Well, as well as my sister because three years later she was born on Mother’s Day too!
However, this is the 4th time I’m doing this post as I did them for my 25th, 26th, and 27th birthdays before this. I remember that last year I was starting to struggle with finding things I haven’t already said before but there might be some overlap this year as I’ll try not to look at those until after I’ve written this one! It’s funny to go back and read through them. At some point I suddenly became a full adult! Legit, I feel like a proper adult now and it’s amazing.
Here they are! My 28 things I’ve learned in 28 years.
- You can’t flourish without creativity.
- Sleep is a magnificent thing.
- When someone shows you who they really are, make sure you believe them.
- Keep your inbox as clean as possible.
- Don’t forget to call your grandparent(s).
- The most rewarding adventures are usually the most challenging.
- Ask for forgiveness, not permission.
- Be thankful for what you do have – good health, a great support system, etc.
- Self care is too important to skip.
- When your tracking says the package was delivered but you don’t have it, wait a day or two. Sometimes it’s just been delivered to the local post office and then they bring it to you, sometimes it’s been delivered to the wrong mail box and your kind neighbor will bring it over.
- Don’t go straight to panic mode – look for solutions instead.
- Be clear and concise. Especially when asking for help or advice.
- Don’t be lazy. Just get it done!
- If at first you don’t succeed, try a different approach.
- Reach out to people you admire or do what you want to do. Anything they can teach you will be useful.
- Be in the moment as much as possible. Set your phone down and truly listen to the world around you.
- There’s always an opportunity for adventure.
- Learn as much as you can about as many things as you can.
- When a friend is in town, make the time to go see them. If you really can’t that’s okay but at least make an effort. At the end, both sides cherish the time that was so happily given.
- Be open to new experiences and take advantage of those opportunities to try something new when they arise.
- There’s always going to be something on social media that is scandalizing the world (or at least it’ll feel like it). Take a few to catch up on it and then make sure you get back your life too.
- After you learn to speak up for yourself, it might be a good time to learn to speak up for others.
- Seek out people who know about things you don’t and learn from them.
- Never forget to support the amazing women around you.
- Share your adventures with the world. You never know who you may inspire to have adventures of their own.
- Don’t give up on your dreams.
- Everything will happen on it’s own time frame so enjoy the journey until it does.
- Remember to be relentlessly positive in everything you do!
Well that’s all I can think of! I do see some themes in what I’ve learned so it’s interesting to me and I’m liking it. It’s been a great 27 years so far and I can’t wait to see what 28 brings!
Thanks for reading!
Follow me on social media!