Hi everyone! Welcome back to Blogmas! I’m going to share not only Blogmas Advent Calendar Item #14 but also recap all the musicals I saw this year!
I can’t believe that it’s that time of year again to recap stuff, but it is nearly halfway through the month, so I do have to start don’t I?
I always keep my Playbills or other similar handouts/leaflets/tickets for the musicals I go to and have them stored in my home office. I love to pull them out and look through them from time to time! And I keep a mini binder for them by year. This year it is navy blue and says “Start Somewhere” on the front. It has gold details on it as well.
Here it is! I think it’s so cute and fancy. I love having different binders for each year so I’m going to need to go out to get one for 2019. I’m thinking I should also keep concerts in here since I don’t go to many of those and want to keep them too. I’ll have to look for my ticket from the past year for the one I did to add it!
As for the musicals/concerts/shows I saw this year, I saw 8, plus 4 smaller events that I wanted to add in. This isn’t enough to beat last year’s record (12 musicals) but hey, that’s still pretty good!
So in order (each row, left to right) here are all the musicals/events I saw! Anything that I reviewed on my blog is linked in the title of the work!
- The Humans Play – This was a part of my Broadway in Chicago subscription and was my first event of the year. It was at the Cadillac Palace and was the only play of the year. It wasn’t my favorite but it was interesting to experience. I actually went alone to this one so I was glad because I’m not sure anyone I know would have really enjoyed it.
- Recital de piano – Jose Luis Arcaraz Lopez – this wasn’t a full performance, but it was about a 45min recital I came across at the Chapultepec Castle in Mexico while on vacation earlier this year. It was so good! I was really glad that we were able to stop and watch the performance as it was really enjoyable. My sister and I thought so anyway, my mom and aunt were getting a little restless towards the end.
- Ballet Folklorico de Mexico de Amalia Hernandez – I saw this performance at the Palacio de Bellas Artes in Mexico during the same trip. I had wanted to see it for awhile and so I was glad to finally get to experience it! Also two of my uncles, my aunt, my sister, my mom and my cousin all went with me too so that was nice of them!
- Love Never Dies – Another subscription musical and it was one of my favorites this year! I know it’s not a very popular musical but I really enjoyed it. My mom also really liked it, and actually liked it more than Phantom of the Opera!
- Pretty Woman – I took my mom to see Pretty Woman the Musical for her mother’s day gift as she said she really enjoyed the film. I still haven’t seen the film but I really need to because I absolutely loved the musical. It was super special too because it was it’s “Pre-Broadway” engagement!
- Singin’ in the Rain Jr. – I had seen this musical on a local Instagram story and so I got tickets and went! This was such a fun experience to see kids put on a musical and see how talented they were.
- Taylor Swift Reputation Tour – I went to see the Taylor Swift Reputation Tour this year in Chicago with my sister! It was so fun and I’m so glad we were able to go!
- Shrek the Musical – One of my college friends found this musical by a local company and so we went to see it! We had a great time and it was super fun!
- Sweet Charity – This was the last major show I saw this year with one of my high school friends. I had really wanted to see it for awhile so I’m glad I did and it was super fun as well!
- Six Flags Shows – I also thought I’d include the 3 Six Flags shows I saw as well!
- Love at First Fright for Fright Fest – I love this show as it’s so fun! They always change up the jokes a bit based on current events and while I think they were funnier last year it was still good!
- The Ringmaster’s Cabaret for Fright Fest – This is actually my favorite show that Six Flags does. It’s not as funny as the first one but much darker and intricate.
- Wonderland at the Grand for Holiday in the Park – Another great musical at the park! While there isn’t much of a story to it it’s still a good show with different acts featuring holiday songs. It’s so festive!
I didn’t get to see as many musicals this year as I thought I would, and I’m pretty sure I’ll skip out on the last two I’d been planning to see in favor of other musicals and shows next year but overall it was a great year! I think this year I also grew pickier with what I saw, so maybe it wasn’t as much fun because I only saw shows I knew I’d enjoy, rather than taking a risk with something new. That’s why I love subscriptions, not only was I able to get great deals, but also I saw shows I wouldn’t have thought about otherwise. Once I’m done with school I absolutely would get subscriptions again! Of course, I’d probably skip out if I didn’t have at least some sort of interest in a majority of the shows though to make sure I did enjoy a good amount. Either way, the risk is fun for shows!
Coming back for a short update on two more musicals! The reviews for them will be up in the new year during January, so look forward to those. I did do my recap before buying tickets or deciding to go to these shows so while I knew there was a chance I’d see more, I wasn’t completely expecting to. Next year I’ll just wait!
- Avenue Q – I went to see this one with my sister and some of her friends, and we had a blast! Many of them hadn’t seen the show before so it was fun to see it with them. It was hilarious and I loved that we were able to go.
- Fiddler on the Roof – This was a great show to end the year with! It was so beautiful and moving. I’m so happy I was able to see it before it leaves Chicago.
Advent Calendar Item #14
So for the 14th item in the Blogmas Advent Calendar is…
Sunglasses! I would love to include sunglasses as a new style piece. I recently picked these up as I was looking for a new pair and loved how perfectly they fit into the winter season! Dark, sleek, and definitely something I’d love to put into the calendar if possible.
So that’s the musicals I’ve seen in 2018! If you’ve seen any musicals this year do let me know your favorite, or tell me which are ones I can’t miss in the future.
Thanks for reading!
Follow me on social media!