Hi everyone! It’s officially my first day of being 27 so I thought I’d continue on the tradition of sharing things I’ve learned. I can’t believe my birthday is finally here!
Actually I can because I woke up at my usual time and then wished myself a happy birthday before turning over and falling asleep for another three hours.
Back to the post, since I’m turning 27, I’ll share 27 things I’ve learned! (I did 26 last year and 25 the year before that!) I’m not looking back at the others yet so if I repeat something I guess it means the lesson stuck. If I contradict something I guess it means that I’ve changed my mind on that. WOAH.
Turning 26 felt quite dramatic. I wrote about how I felt like an adultier adult but not really a real adult. Well I’m happy to say that I feel like I am totally a real adult now! I think. Overall it feels like I have my stuff way more together.
I have a decent savings now (although I need to pay my next semester so that’ll be a nice chunk out of it), I have travel plans now (see yesterday’s post!), and I do even more of what I want. That last part is my favorite. I am super independent so if I feel like going somewhere then I do. No need to wait for anyone! I also schedule my own dentist appointments (I have one on Monday)!
But I am a student again so that’s kind of weird. Like, I thought I was past this. Not to say that I’m not enjoying it because I am, but being a student again is just a different mindset.
Okay onto the 27 things because that’s a lot! (lol…)
- Every so often life puts the perfect people around you to be friends with. So remember to include them on the lunch IMs at work!
- It’s tough to move on from a place where people are like family but I think the time is coming and I’ll have to prepare myself mentally.
- If someone doesn’t get the hint after trying to give feedback nicely, just tell them bluntly. Multiple times. It’ll sink in eventually.
- If you want something, put it out in the world. Someone might be able to give you a hand to reach that goal.
- If you feel the need to do something, say go back to school, DO IT!
- Don’t save passwords to websites or credit card numbers. It’ll avoid a headache later on!
- It’s really fun when you reveal to your coworkers that you listen to an artist they never would have expected. (For me it’s Cardi B and Biggie Smalls.)
- Getting myself to leave the house at least once per weekend is great for my mental health.
- Oscar Wilde was right, you can never be overdressed or overeducated.
- Saving money is more important than spending it.
- Also the moment you finally are happy with where your savings account is at you’ll have a big expense and have to start again. It’s a cycle.
- You don’t need to have someone with you to do something.
- I’m actually really funny, but I go dark real fast. So clearly I can’t hang around people that get too easily offended but luckily my friends love it. (Like when my coworker asked “can your phone headset die?” and I replied “no, but your soul can”. Luckily she was on mute because she laughed wayyyyy too hard about that.)
- The floor isn’t a bad place to sleep when your back hurts.
- If the game on your phone is taking up too much of your time it’s okay to delete it. (Unless it’s Hogwarts Mystery because Ava Samwise Quagmire is making it all the way to Year 7 someday!)
- The best way to spend money is not to go to the store. Also avoid online shopping. They’re difficult but totally doable!
- I really want to see my name printed on the cover of a book someday as the author.
- Start planning the trip and leave an open invitation to others if they want to come along or show up in the city you’ll be at. NOLA here I come!
- Next year I’m going to go way overboard with the graduate stuff in stores. I already had to restrain myself today when at Party City, Target, and Michael’s and I’m still a year away!
- If you can’t beat the sports fans, join them! I did a march madness bracket this year and it was a blast even though I only got 3rd in my group. Baseball season has been more fun since I’ve joined in. #GoCubsGo #FlytheW
- Your parents are only going to get you stuff from Victoria’s Secret as gifts which is amazing because you’re too cheap to shop there for yourself.
- Always keep a coat in the car in the winter, a rain coat in the spring, sandals in the summer, and a jacket in the fall in the car. You never know when you’ll need it!
- Summer in the city seems magical and I’m determined to spend one there someday (maybe next year I can get a sublease just for the summer?).
- Even though I want to live in the city for a few years, eventually I think I’d like a ranch, preferably in Texas. I could have a horse! And a pool. I love Illinois but snowy winters give me anxiety.
- Do what you gotta do to get stuff done (as long as it’s not illegal, immoral, or unethical as my college band director used to say).
- Love your family all day everyday. They’re always there for you.
- I want to own my own business soon. Any ideas for a good side hustle?
And there you go! 27 things I’ve learned by 27. I may have repeated a few but ah well, they’re important I suppose! So, what have you learned so far in life? Let me know in the comments!
Thanks for reading!
Follow me on social media!