Hello everyone! Happy Father’s Day to all the dads out there! I am not a dad myself (nor will I be because I’m a lady), but I do have an amazing dad of my own! Is it Father’s Day where you are? (I know lots of you are international!)
Since I posted 26 things that I love about my mom for Mother’s Day I figured it was only fair to do the same for my dad! Why 26 things? Because that’s how long he’s been a dad!
Like my mom, he doesn’t let me put photos of him on the internet. Sign, they’re very distrustful people of the internet.
Okay, to the 26 things!
- He gives the best advice because he and I have the same personality. I started writing this post yesterday on the train to Chicago and he’d dropped me off at the station. On the way, he asked how I’d slept. I’d admitted not well because when I go into the city my brain keeps thinking of all worst case scenarios. What if the train is delayed? What if it rains? What is my phone battery dies even though I have 3 portable chargers and my wall outlet charger? What if I lose my ticket to the musical I’m going to see? He laughed and said “you’re definitely my daughter because I do the same thing!” He gets me.
- On that note, he always gives me rides. Saved $5 for parking yesterday because of him! Which is great because I owe him $5. (He also does airport dropoffs and pickups.)
- He encourages a healthy lifestyle. He’s the reason I eat fruit for breakfast, did sports in school, and run on occasion.
- He’s the hardest worker I know! He worked hard to ensure my mom could be a stay at home mom, indulge my (and my sister’s) extra curricular activities, and pay for our education through undergrad. Now he still works a full time job and then works one day per weekend for his own business.
- I’m the favorite daughter! (Although if you ask my sister she might tell you she is!)
- He calls me out on my shit. No one else does to the same extent.
- He lets me live at home for minimal rent! I’m super far from work or the city but hey, for all the perks involved, I can live with that.
- If I’m in trouble, he drops everything to rescue me! I know how to change a tire but he’ll come and do it. And when I was in a car accident late 2015 he left work to go find me and then took the next day off to help me fix everything up (deal w/ the insurance company, go take my stuff out of my car, etc.).
- He’ll never tell me I can’t do something. He’ll strongly advise against it if it’s a bad idea but he won’t tell me I can’t. Unless it’s about adopting a puppy.
- He’ll learn to use technology to ease my life. Now I need to teach him how to pay the mortgage online!
- Even if he’s told me a million times what each plant is, he’ll tell me again. They just look green with leaves to me. Or they’re flowers. But they make the house look so pretty on the outside!
- He reminds me when it’s time to renew my car city sticker or license plates or whatever else is due. It’s always something!
- He’ll tell me I look pretty before I leave the house! Great confidence booster!
- He always puts his family first.
- If asked he says he doesn’t need gifts although he’ll never say no to some spoiling!
- He’ll go see movies with me all the time. Luckily we have the same taste in films. Action!!!
- He makes me laugh all the time w/ his jokes and life observations.
- He spoils me! I say I never learned to share because of him. Apparently when my sister and I were younger he didn’t want us to fight over toys so he would ask my mom to get two of everything. I always wondered why my mom bought two of the same dolls rather than get two different ones.
- If there’s something I don’t know, he usually knows. And that happens a lot.
- He gets excited when something exciting happens to me!
- He lets me borrow money often because I never have cash on me. I also do the same (not with cash) but it’s still nice!
- He has hilarious stories! His school English teacher story is one of my favorites. He was an American hippie kind of guy and was obsessed with the “Eye of the Tiger” song. My dad had a friend in the class who played guitar and could sing it amazingly so the teacher would literally only teach them a little bit and then have the classmate sing the song all the time. I imagine him being like the School of Rock teacher and when I showed the movie to my dad he went “yup, that’s pretty much him!”
- He gives great career advice.
- He is also a hoarder. When he points that out about me I remind him that he has a basement full of tools he never uses and keeps “just in case”. Payback!
- He’s inspired me to remain aware of the world and develop an informed opinion on the issues at hand. We watch the news every day during dinner and talk about them.
- He loves me oodles and I know I can always count on him for anything!
And there’s 26 reasons why I love my dad! If you want to read the one about my mom, feel free to check it out!
Let me know one reason why you love your mom! And I don’t think I have many male followers, but if you are and you’re a dad, what’s the best thing about being a dad?
Thanks for reading!