Hi everyone! So if you’ll remember I’m sort of obsessed with musicals. (Understatement of the year? Maybe.)I’ve only seen one this year but last year I did go to 8 musicals plus 2 ballets. I did a post on all the musicals I’ve seen back in March, so I thought I should do a post on all the musicals I want to see in the future. I’m also going to include all the musicals I already have tickets for as well.
Oh, for that March post on the musicals I have seen, two are missing. I recently saw Chicago last month so that’s why it’s not on the list. I also forgot I had seen Spring Awakening when I was writing the post so I left that off as well.
And before I continue, my birthday was May 12th but I’m celebrating all month long by blogging every day in a series I’m calling #BirthMay!
Back to the musicals.
I’m going to start with my Broadway in Chicago subscription. I’m subscribed for their summer season this year. With my subscription I will see:
- Les Miserables: I’m excited to see this one because I love the part of Eponine and Fantine. I have seen the movie and while I wasn’t the biggest fan (I have trouble sitting through a whole movie without feeling antsy) it is a beautiful musical.
- Escape to Margaritaville: I don’t really know what this one is about but I’m excited to see it because it’s in it’s Pre-Broadway stages. From my understanding the music is from a Carribean musician so I am thinking it’s likely a sort of a Mamma Mia! type of musical where the music is fitted into a story.
- An American in Paris: I fell in love with this musical from watching the Tony’s performance about a few years ago. Fun fact, I tweeted that I had loved it and wanted to see it, and the official An American in Paris twitter replied! Essentially they said that they hoped I would be able to see it. This year I finally will! I watched the movie and again, got antsy, but it looked great and I can’t wait to see it onstage. This was one of the musicals that really sold me on the season subscription along with Les Mis.
- Something Rotten!: So this is another one where I saw a performance by the cast and wanted to see it. I can’t recall if I watched the Tony performance first or the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade performance first, but they are both amazing and I can’t wait to see this one! It’s more of a parody musical where two main characters are sick of Shakespeare getting all the glory for his plays and they try to one up him. This is another one that convinced me to go for the subscription and I can’t wait!
- The King and I: I watched this movie in band in high school but don’t remember it much because 1) ants in my pants and 2) I normally used movie days as homework catch up days. Still I know this will be a good one and I can’t wait to go see it as well.
Strangely enough, I never feel restless when I go see a musical. In fact, I never want it to end! It’s just magical for me. This year I banished myself to the balcony just because of the price and time commitment. If I don’t find it a hassle having to arrange my schedule around for these performances I will consider renewing if the future seasons are interesting. For now the winter season doesn’t really seem worth the money to me so I have not renewed but I might for next summer depending on what will play. I would also consider a Broadway in Milwaukee subscription or a Marriott Theatre Lincolnshire (a smaller theatre by where I work that I love).
Here are other musicals I have tickets or will get tickets for this year.
- Hamilton: An American Musical: Round 2! Yes, I have tickets to see Hamilton for a second time! I am so incredibly lucky (to be alive right now) to live so close to Chicago and get the opportunity to see it. This will also be the first musical that I will see more than once (up until now I haven’t repeated a musical) and I just can’t wait! I’ll stop quoting the musical now but I am really, really happy that I’ll get to see it again. In November… But I have orchestra seating so I’m willing to wait for it! Okay I really will stop now.
- Wicked: This will be the second musical I’ll repeat. Wicked will be playing in Chicago for the holidays so I do plan to get tickets then. I have seen this once before in Milwaukee and was blown away by how incredible it was. I went and saw it by myself that time and since my mom and sister were so jealous we all plan to go. This is one of four shows included in the winter Broadway in Chicago subscription but it’s the only one I want to see so I did give up guaranteed seats to only purchase this one instead of purchasing four shows.
- Newsies: This will be the only musical I’m interested in for this year’s performances in the Marriott Theatre. I have heard really good things about this one and it is a Disney owned production so I can’t wait until tickets go on sale!
That’s all I’m sure I’ll see this year. There are more that you’ll see in my list below but because I am trying to save money I am going to skip out on a few of these for now.
And here are some shows that I really want to see in no particular order that I haven’t seen yet. I won’t really get too much into details here as this is already quite long but take a look! This list is not comprehensive at all, I’m just putting the ones that I really, really want to see.
- In the Heights
- Finding Neverland
- The Sound of Music
- Man of La Mancha
- Anything Goes
- Sweet Charity
- Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
- Fiddler on the Roof
- Into the Woods
- Fun Home
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (which is not a musical but I would put it on musical level in terms of how badly I want to see it)
And I have a list of musicals I want to see again!
- Singin’ In the Rain
- Beauty and the Beast
- The Phantom of the Opera
So that’s the musicals I want to see! Let me know if you have seen any of these or if we share any musicals we want to see. Also let me know if I accidentally left off your favorite!
Thanks for reading!