Hi everyone! It’s my birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am officially 26 today and it sounds weird. Which surprises me because about two months ago someone asked how old I was and I said 26. Ha!
Some reminders that I’m 26: I got a new driver’s license, my bones feel more achy, I get mad that I have to stick to an “Instagram theme” because I feel so limited, and I’m totally more prepared for life in general! Actually that second to last one still puts me firmly in the “young millennial” category I believe.
In the past few years I’ve felt more and more like an adult. I don’t know how close I actually am, to be honest, but I do feel like I’ve “leveled up” in a way!
Anyway, the real point of this post is to share 26 things I’ve learned in my 26 years. I did my 25 things last year, so I’m suddenly worried I won’t have 26 things to share. But I must have learned more things, right?
We shall see!
- Family is more important that I’ve ever realized. I can’t ever take my family for granted and will always be grateful for them.
- I need to travel more. Even though I’m 100% okay with traveling alone I don’t do enough of it.
- If you can sign up for a free hotel rewards program to get free wifi, totally do it.
- I still have zero interest in cooking and I think I have an unhealthy relationship with food where I don’t enjoy eating as much as everyone else seems to.
- Being among the youngest at work (but not the youngest) is definitely the best!
- If there’s ever something you really, really want to do, just do it! This blog was one of the best things I wanted to do that I did do! Blogging is such a big part of my life now that I can’t imagine not doing it.
- People work for people. My job isn’t the most important, or influential, or glamorous but I would hate to leave because I love my boss and my coworkers. Eventually I know I have to move on but for now, I’m enjoying the people the most.
- Ambition and motivation are the same for me. I thrive on them and I’m finally getting reacquainted with them after having lost touch.
- There is always a solution to the problem at hand. Just take the time to look at it from a different angle.
- Being nice isn’t always going to be the best path. Sometimes you have to get tough.
- Take more pictures than 1 or 2. Maybe at least 5 to make sure you get a good one! Then put the phone down and enjoy what is happening.
- You’re your own best lawyer in life. Defend yourself and your ideas because no one else will do it for you.
- Don’t be the person who says “I don’t know” at everything. Just ask after the meeting!
- Always have some cash on hand.
- Pay your bills on time. Oh, I have proper bills now.
- If at first you don’t succeed, fix your ponytail and try again.
- Drink lots of water.
- Exercise! Trust me, the benefits outweigh the downsides to exercising. Which reminds me, I should go for a run this weekend.
- If your parents aren’t great gift givers you just have to spoil yourself. My dad always only gets me workout clothes. (What are you trying to say dad??? LOL.)
- If your friends tell you to watch a show on Netflix then take the time to watch it. (The Office is actually pretty funny and there’s a character named like me! But she’s actually Pam and I’m Pamela so it’s not completely the same.)
- People love talking about themselves. Take the time to listen and learn from their experiences!
- Don’t give up on people. They can often surprise you.
- I’m absolutely going to get the flu sometime in February-April. I need to stock up on flu meds in January!
- Don’t waste time doing things you don’t want to do within reason.
- It’s so important to save money away for a rainy day. Hopefully that day won’t arrive but it’s such a peace of mind to have it.
- Be responsible and don’t start reading an interesting book until the weekend. You’re not going to put it down and you’ll stay up all night reading and really you should know this by now.
So that’s 26 things I’ve learned in my 26 years so far! Somewhat simple, but very important to me nonetheless. So what’s one thing you’ve learned so far in life and (optional) how old are you? Leave me a comment, I’d love to know!
Thanks for reading!