Hi everyone! Today I thought I’d share what I plan to pack for my work trip to Houston next week! I am going to have to pack a little early for my trip as I am leaving on Sunday morning and likely won’t have a lot of time to pack on Saturday. Plus I have so much to do in general!
This is my first work trip where I’ll be working at a client’s event. I work for an event planning company and I don’t normally travel but for this event the onsite team was a little short staffed and I was asked to help out. My flight is booked, my hotel is booked, and all I need to do now is try to get as much sleep as possible ahead of time and pack my suitcase!
I will be in Houston for 8 days, traveling on each Sunday (my flights are United, yikes!), and working 13+ hour days for at least 5 of those days. It’s supposed to be 80+ degrees there but some days will be partly cloudy and others will be stormy so that should be exciting.
My mom keeps joking that it’s a vacation but seeing as to how many hours I’ll be working, it definitely won’t be! Oh, I also think that my parents are secretly hoping that I’ll love it and want to move to Houston because they’re desperate to leave Illinois but I don’t think they want to leave my sister and I. They hate the snowy winters! (They’re from Mexico, they’re used to a nicer climate.) Since Houston is the first city my dad lived in after immigrating to the US, I’m even happier to be able to go. It’ll be nice to see even a little bit of what his first impression of the US might have been. To think he started as a dish washer in Houston and now owns his own small business in Chicago!
Okay, back to my packing list. Here’s what I plan to bring!
- 8 nice blouses: I need to be business casual every day, except the last day when I’m only going to be traveling. The first day is travel but I’m working after I get there. After I take a taxi to the hotel I might not be able to check in right away and I’ll need to be ready to leave my bags and go straight to the convention center where we’ll be setting up. That first day is actually “neat casual” but I will still need a nice blouse as I don’t have a company polo shirt. I do want to take an extra just in case or if I go out to dinner with colleagues.
- 1-2 cardigans: It’ll be 84 degrees each day but the convention center is sure to be chilly!
- 3 dress pants: business casual dress required! I think I’ll switch between them so I don’t have to take that many.
- 1 pair of jeans: for travel days (I can only get away with jeans the first and last day).
- 3-4 sets of workout clothes: I do plan to use the gym or go for a run around the park by the hotel. Since I’m going to be working so much I don’t expect I’ll need much more than that.
- My running shoes.
- 2 pairs of flats: I got new comfy ones this past weekend. Of course, I don’t think they’ll do much considering how much I’ll be standing and walking but maybe a tiny bit will help? I also have an older pair of “sporty flats that are really cushioned.
- 1 pair of small dressy wedges: same as the flats, I got comfy dress wedges over the weekend. I wanted to get two pairs of flats but I was worried that might tire my feet out too much. They’re not the most flattering shoes but I think they’ll be really comfortable. Probably not after a 12 hour shift though…
- Lots of undergarments: for obvious reasons.
- 1 swim suit: I doubt I’ll get pool time but the hotel has an awesome pool so I want to be prepared.
- 1 pair of flip-flops: for the pool.
- 1-2 nice sweaters: I think I might need them if the convention center is really cold!
- 1 raincoat: it’s supposed to storm according to the forecast, and the hotel is next door but I don’t think it’s connected so I’m going to have to be outside at least a little bit each day!
- 1 pair of slippers: last time I traveled for work the hotel didn’t provide any so I want to be prepared this time!
- 1 set of pajamas: although I’m starting to doubt it’ll all fit…
I’m planning to do an OOTD post after I return, which is why I’m not sharing pictures yet. You’ll have to wait and see!
Make Up, Skin Care, & Toiletries
I won’t explain them all here but I did write a full post on this last Wednesday if you want a closer look!
- iPhone (of course)
- External batteries (I have 3 and will likely take all of them)
- Earbuds, which not only help with my anxiety but also for music and such
- A boatload of chargers
- 1 small messenger bag
- 1 large handbag for travel
- My glasses for when I’m not wearing contacts.
- Goggles for the pool, just in case!
- Sunglasses because I can’t live without them!
Extras and Other Essentials
- A book: Haven’t decided which one yet but I do want to take one with me!
- Notebook and pen: because one should always have these items on hand shouldn’t they?
- 1 pillowcase: because my face needs to go on the pillow.
- Earplugs: I need to grab some from my dad’s stash. He has a giant box full of them!
- Icy-hot: a coworker told me to get this because my feet will hurt.
- Reusable water bottle: another coworker suggested this to avoid dehydration (which won’t help tired leg muscles). Of course it’ll need to be empty because of the liquids rule.
- A million band-aids: I have sensitive baby feet that bleed and get blisters for no reason.
- Glasses cleaning wipes.
- Wallet with my cards of course!
I think that should be everything I need. If you think of anything else let me know! I’m sure I’m probably forgetting something in there! It’s kind of daunting to know that I’ll be in a new city for a whole week but I’m super excited and I’m sure I won’t even have time to think about it.
What are your travel essentials? Let me know!
Thanks for reading!